We are an association of change ringers covering the Church of England's Bristol and Gloucester Dioceses.
Tower details are listed here, along with an explanation of change ringing and a sprinkling of links and pictures.
New Visitors Start Here
- November 13th 2015 The latest edition of Swindon Branch's quarterly newsletter Belfry View is now on this site. Belfry View October 2015.
- October 25th 2014 An event has been created on BellBoard to enable linking of all performances during the Peal and Quarter Peal Festival. Access BellBoard using this link and log in. Then click on [Link Performance], enter the performance in the usual way and submit it. All performances should then appear grouped for the festival.
- October 24th 2015 The date Saturday 7 November was not a good choice! Consequently that is cancelled and, instead, we are going to try for FRIDAY 20 November - again at Bisley. We will meet at 7.15 for a 7.30 start.
Those of you who need help with transport please let me know and we will see what can be done to help.
- October 9th 2015 The Association's Insurance Policy document has been updated following renewal of the insurance.
- September 19th 2015 The Ringing World National Youth contest 2016 is to be hosted by London and will take place on the first Saturday of July. As currently understood, participants must be age under 19 on the day of the contest.
The G&B have entered a team for each of the last four annual contests and Ian Bucknell and his team are beginning planning for the 2016 contest. With this in mind we need to gather together a group of youngsters who would like to be part of the G&B Youth for 2016 and beyond. We already have a core of youngsters who have been part of things in previous years but clearly we would like more. It can only be a good thing if we widen participation.
The criteria for membership of the G&B Youth Team is really very broad. Fundamentally, a young ringer needs to be a member of the G&B, must be confident and competent at ringing, and handling their bell completely unaided to the minimum standard of Rounds and Call Changes on 6 bells. Previous experience of Striking Competitions is not a pre-requisite. The RWNYC is an eight bell striking contest so our regular Youth Team practices will give an enthusiastic youngster with limited experience of ringing beyond 6 bells the opportunity to learn about 8 bell ringing. It must be stressed that the G&B Youth Team is about improving striking and not really about increasing method range.
The benefits of involvement in the G&B Youth Team are many: a youngster makes new friends from all over the Association, gets to have ringing experiences they otherwise would never have, learns about what good striking is and how to achieve it, has great fun, and has the opportunity to have a great day out at the RWNYC.
Practices are really friendly where all the ringing & conducting is performed by the youngsters themselves. Adult involvement is kept to a minimum. However, practices are managed in a much more formal and intense manner than the average tower practice and when youngsters join us for the first time some do find it a little intimidating until they find their feet - for this reason it is a good idea if they have a good friend or family member with them to begin with.
What we would like to have happen is that Branch Officers identify any youngster they feel would benefit from and enjoy being part of the G&B Youth Team. Have a word with the youngster concerned and also their parent/guardian and then contact Ian Bucknell. Our experience is that just sending out a general notice asking for interest is really just a waste of time. The initial contact needs to be made 1:1.
Should a youngster be interested the way forward is to contact Ian & Carole Bucknell on Ol45388425O or email and we will explain more.
- September 8th 2015 The latest edition of the Cirencester Branch News is now available on this site. This issue includes reports on the Magna Carta peal and the Branch Striking Competition. There is also a welcome to new members and a Member of the Month, if we had such a title.
- August 28th 2015 The September edition of Strike Note, the Chippenham Branch newsletter is now available on this site.
- July 15th 2015 The July edition of the North Cotswold Branch newsletter is now available on this site.
- July 10th 2015 The Central Council have established a new website to encourage ringers going to university or college to continue in the art. The site is universityringing.org and has details of the societies or nearest towers to many of the UK universities.
Sign Our Visitor's Book
Click here to leave a message if you have any comments, updates or corrections.
You are advised to check any events, either at the branch website or with the branch secretary, before travelling.Nov 27 : Forest branch, English Bicknor
7:30pm Surprise Minor Practice
Nov 28 : Bristol branch, Brislington
2:45pm Branch AGM
Nov 28 : Bristol Rural branch, Westerleigh
Dec 1 : Cirencester branch, Cirencester St John
7:30pm 12 Bell Practice
Dec 2 : Cirencester branch, Northleach
7:30pm Triples Practice
Dec 2 : Bristol branch, Henbury
7:30pm 8 bell practice
Dec 2 : Chippenham branch, Chippenham, St Andrew
7:30pm Surprise Major Practice
Dec 4 : Gloucester branch, Barnwood
7:30pm Surprise Major Practice
Dec 5 : Bristol Rural branch, Pucklechurch
Dec 5 : Wotton branch, Wotton-under-Edge
3:00pm Ringing, followed by Carol Service and refreshments
Dec 7 : Forest branch, Mitcheldean
Dec 8 : North Cotswold branch, Bourton on the Water
7:30pm Committee Meeting and Practice
Dec 11 : Cirencester branch, Lechlade
Dec 12 : Stroud branch, Woodchester
5:00pm Ringing and Carol Service
Dec 12 : Gloucester branch, Frampton
Dec 14 : Swindon branch, Lydiard Millicent
Dec 14 : Chippenham branch, Marshfield
Dec 16 : Cirencester branch, Withington
7:30pm Bob Doubles Practice
Dec 17 : Forest branch, Lydney
7:30pm 10 bell Practice
Dec 17 : Chippenham branch, Malmesbury
7:30pm Triples Practice (simulator)
Dec 18 : Wotton branch, Chipping Sodbury
7:30pm 8 bell Practice
Dec 18 : Bristol Rural branch, Chipping Sodbury
Dec 19 : Forest branch, Newland
6:30pm Carol Service