We are an association of change ringers covering the Church of England's Bristol and Gloucester Dioceses.
Tower details are listed here, along with an explanation of change ringing and a sprinkling of links and pictures.
New Visitors Start Here
- June 14th 2016 The June edition of Strike Note, the Chippenham Branch newsletter is now available on this site. This issue features reports on the Ring and Ramble, business meetings and Brinkworth. There is also information on the Branch Outing to Herefordshire in September.
- June 13th 2016 The team to represent the G & B at the Ringing World National Youth Contest in London on Saturday July 2nd has been selected. The following will be ringing Plain Bob Triples:
Treble - Margaret Pang. Aged 18, Margaret rings at Barnwood in the Gloucester Branch. This will be the first time she has rung in the RWNYC having regularly attended G & B Youth Practices over the last three years.
2nd - Fen Tongue. Aged 17, Fen rings at Bisley in the Stroud Branch and this is the 2nd time she has rung in the RWNYC. Fen represented the Stroud Branch in this year's Penn Trophy and also in the Bisley band which came 2nd in the Croome Trophy.
3rd - Maddie Johnson. Maddie has recently celebrated her 13th birthday and is the youngest member of the band. Maddie is a member of the Forest Branch and this is her first RWNYC. She has rung one peal but countless quarter peals.
4th - Susannah Moore. aged 18. Susannah rings at Lydiard Tregoze in the Swindon Branch and this is her first RWNYC. Susannah was a member of the Swindon under 21 band which recently rang a peal of Cambridge Minor.
5th - Ben Haslam, aged 18. Ben rings at Coalpit Heath in the Bristol Rural Branch. This is the second time Ben has rung in the RWNYC.
6th - Thomas Moller, aged 16. This is the third year Thomas has rung in the RWNYC. He rings at Filton in the Bristol Rural Branch. Thomas is a prolific young peal and quarter peal ringer He conducted his first peal earlier this year and has rung countless quarter peals from Minimus to Maximus.
7th - Julian Howes, aged 18. This is the 5th time Julian has rung in the RWNYC and the 3rd time he's conducted. He was the youngest ringer in the all conquering G & B team of 2012. Since then Julian has gone on to be a highly accomplished ringer - he recently stood in a successful peal of 14 Spliced Surprise Major and earlier this year he composed and conducted a peal of Julian Surprise Royal to celebrate his 18th Birthday. Julian conducted the Stroud Branch in the last two Penn Trophies and also conducted the Bisley Band in this year's Croome Trophy.
Tenor - Oliver Bradley aged 14. This is Olly's first RWNYC and is the least experienced member of the band. However, he has been an enthusiastic supporter of this year's G & B monthly practices and his selection is his reward for all the effort he has put in supporting the team. Olly is a reliable Sunday Service ringer at Bisley in the Stroud Branch.
Once again the team has benefited from the expert coaching of Keith Scudamore. This is the 5th year Keith has supported the G & B Youth Team and his involvement has been invaluable. Alan & Michael Woodward have also been heavily involved again this year and no one should underestimate the contribution these three gents have made in the development of the G & B Youth Team. In the background and providing administrative support have been Carole Bucknell and Teresa Howes and together they are organising our trip to London.
There is one last practice for this band - a quarter peal attempt at Blunsdon in the Swindon Branch on Friday 24th June.
The Contest band would like to thank their fellow G & B Youth Team members for their enthusiastic participation in this years practices - they are Thomas Bale (Bristol Rural Branch), Isabel Caine (Tewkesbury Branch), Millie Judson (Stroud Branch), Florence Lazenby (Cirencester Branch), Mary Pang (Gloucester Branch) and Matthew Woods (Cirencester Branch).
- June 11th 2016 The latest edition of the Cirencester Branch News is now available on this site. There are reports on the snowdrop ringing, Compton Abdale's success in the Tower of the Year competition and peal and quarter peal lists.
- April 13th 2016 The unapproved minutes of the recent Association AGM are availablehere
- April 12th 2016 The latest edition of Swindon Branch's quarterly newsletter Belfry View is now on this site. Belfry View April 2016.
- April 9th 2016 The results of the striking competitions for the Penn (eight bell) and Croome (six bell) trophies are now available on this site. Also available are the results of the Tower of the Year competition.
- March 5th 2016 The Association Annual Report 2015 and Handbook for 2016 has been published. Copies have been distributed to the branches via their officials.
- February 9th 2016 Cheltenham Minster ringers have launched an appeal to donate a bell in memory of Cyril Wratten, Secretary of the Central Council for 22 years and a ringer at the tower until his death in 2004. Cyril authored or co-authored several books on ringing, rang over 1,000 peals and visited over 3,000 towers on his countless organised tours. There is more about Cyril, the appeal and how to donate in a letter from the current Tower Captain of Cheltenham Minster.
- October 9th 2015 The Association's Insurance Policy document has been updated following renewal of the insurance.
Sign Our Visitor's Book
Click here to leave a message if you have any comments, updates or corrections.
You are advised to check any events, either at the branch website or with the branch secretary, before travelling.Jul 1 : Gloucester branch, Barnwood
7:30pm Surprise Major Practice
Jul 2 : Wotton branch, Yate
Jul 4 : Forest branch, Bromesberrow
Jul 5 : Wotton branch, Wotton under Edge
7:30pm Triples Practice
Jul 6 : Bristol branch, Henbury
7:30pm 8 bell practice
Jul 6 : Cirencester branch, Northleach
7:30pm Triples Practice
Jul 6 : Chippenham branch, Chippenham, St Andrew
7:30pm Surprise Major Practice
Jul 11 : Swindon branch, Latton and Cricklade
Jul 11 : Tewkesbury branch, Ripple
7:30pm Join local practice
Jul 11 : Stroud branch, Randwick
Jul 12 : Bristol branch, St Stephen
7:30pm 12 Bell Practice
Jul 14 : Wotton branch, Cromhall
2:00pm Surprise Minor Practice
Jul 14 : Chippenham branch, Langley Burrell
7:30pm Doubles Practice
Jul 15 : Bristol branch, Cathedral
Jul 15 : Wotton branch, Chipping Sodbury
7:30pm Joint 8 bell Practice
Jul 17 : Forest branch, Gloucester Cathedral
1:20pm Evensong Ringing
Jul 18 : Cirencester branch, Edgeworth
Jul 20 : Cirencester branch, Meysey Hampton
7:30pm Grandsire Doubles Practice
Jul 21 : Forest branch, Lydney
7:30pm 10 bell Practice
Jul 22 : Forest branch, Lydney
7:30pm Treble Bob and Surprise Minor Practice
Jul 23 : Wotton branch, TBA
Jul 23 : Forest branch, Churcham to Minsterworth
9:00am Walk and Picnic
Jul 23 : Cheltenham branch, Stanway
4:30pm Practice and Meal
Jul 23 : Bristol Rural branch, Mangotsfield
Jul 23 : Swindon branch, Hannington
7:30pm Surprise Minor Practice
Jul 27 : Stroud branch, Horsley
7:30pm 8 Bell Practice