We are an association of change ringers covering the Church of England's Bristol and Gloucester Dioceses.
Tower details are listed here, along with an explanation of change ringing and a sprinkling of links and pictures.
New Visitors Start Here
- July 15th 2015 The July edition of the North Cotswold Branch newsletter is now available on this site.
- July 12th 2015 The ringing World National Youth Contest took place on Saturday 11 July in Oxford. I am delighted to report that for the third time in four years The G &
B Youth were placed first in the method category having rung a test piece of
168 Grandsire Triples.
19 teams from all over Britain took part including, for the first time, a team from Scotland. Once again the majority of teams rang Call Changes. Three teams rang method: Yorkshire Tykes rang two plain course of Plain Bob Triples, the Oxford DG rang a touch of Plain Bob Triples and Julian Howes (aged 17) conducted the G & B through its touch - 7 in out of the hunt three times. Yorkshire and Oxford were both awarded an A minus for their performances whilst the G & B were winners with an A.
In the Call Change category there were 16 teams and marks awarded by the judges led by David Pipe ranged from C minus through to A Plus. For the third year running the winning team were Bedford with their conductor being Linda Garton who, as an adult, was obviously not actually ringing. Linda will be taking over the organisation of next year's RWNYC which will be on the first Saturday of July and will be held in London.
Through the course of the day the G & B party in Oxford numbered approximately 40 and full advantage was taken of the opportunity to ring at the several towers which were open for general ringing. The organisers and helpers (Oxford itself provided over 60 helpers) did an absolutely fantastic job. The towers were well managed and the catering facilities excellent.
At the end of a tiring and hot day, 30 G & B members including Chairman Hugh Evans who supported us throughout the day, sat down for our traditional celebratory meal at The Royal Oak on the Woodstock Road in Oxford. The service and food were truly excellent and this was a fine way to finish our 2015 RWNYC campaign. This was also the occasion when we could quietly thank the adult team who coached and supported the youngsters this year and also to thank Alan Eyles and Greg Jones who have ended their ringing involvement with the G & B Youth Team as they will be too old for 2016. All of the remaining youngsters involved this year have expressed their intention to continue to be part of the Youth Team next year and, at least for one more year, the adult support team will remain in place. Thanks also to Tom Blanden of Stonehill Stitchcraft for his continued sponsorship of the G & B Youth Team.
Finally thank you to all of you in the G & B who have supported us this year - especially those towers who have made their bells available to the Youth team for practices: St Stephen's Bristol, Bisley, Horsley, Painswick, Chipping Sodbury, Hempsted and Ashchurch.Information about the G & B Youth Team for the 20156 RWNYC will appear on this website in the Autumn.
- July 10th 2015 The Central Council have established a new website to encourage ringers going to university or college to continue in the art. The site is universityringing.org and has details of the societies or nearest towers to many of the UK universities.
- July 9th 2015 Registration is now available for the Autumn Training Day which takes place based in Wotton under Edge on 10 October. Courses on offer range from Calling Bob Doubles to Surprise Major. The closing date is 14 September. Online registration is available here. Alternatively full course details and an application form are available to download and print.
- July 6th 2015 The Ringing World have published an article outlining their proposals for the future of the journal. Everyone is asked to read it and support the '70% challenge' to the Exercise.
- June 25th 2015 The latest edition of Swindon Branch's quarterly newsletter Belfry View is now on this site. Belfry View June 2015.
- June 20th 2015 The Stroud branch Striking Competition took place on Saturday 20 June at Haresfield. A report on the proceedings is in the Stroud section of the site.
- June 8th 2015 The March edition of Strike Note, the Chippenham Branch newsletter is now available on this site.
- May 23rd 2015 The branches and towers page has been revised to include a new zoomable map of all the towers in the Association as well as links to the towers sorted by branch, number of bells and practice nights. There are also links to each Branch's individual website.
Sign Our Visitor's Book
Click here to leave a message if you have any comments, updates or corrections.
You are advised to check any events, either at the branch website or with the branch secretary, before travelling.Aug 28 : Forest branch, St Briavels
7:30pm Surprise Minor Practice
Sep 1 : Cirencester branch, Cirencester St John
7:30pm 12 Bell Practice
Sep 2 : Bristol branch, Henbury
7:30pm 8 bell practice
Sep 2 : Cirencester branch, Northleach
7:30pm Triples Practice
Sep 2 : Chippenham branch, Chippenham, St Andrew
7:30pm Surprise Major Practice
Sep 4 : Gloucester branch, Barnwood
7:30pm Surprise Major Practice
Sep 5 : Wotton branch, Coaley
Sep 7 : Forest branch, Hartpury
Sep 8 : North Cotswold branch, Mickleton
7:30pm Committee Meeting and Practice
Sep 10 : Cirencester branch, Compton Abdale
7:30pm Quarterly Meeting
Sep 12 : Swindon branch, Lydiard Tregoze
2:00pm Striking Competition
Sep 16 : Cirencester branch, Fairford
7:30pm Surprise Major
Sep 17 : Chippenham branch, Langley Burrell
7:30pm Doubles Practice
Sep 17 : Forest branch, Lydney
7:30pm 10 bell Practice
Sep 18 : Wotton branch, Chipping Sodbury
7:30pm 8 bell Practice
Sep 18 : Bristol Rural branch, Chipping Sodbury
Sep 19 : Tewkesbury branch, Toddington (9.30am) and Winchcombe (11am)
9:30am All Day Mini Outing
Sep 19 : Barnwood
10:00am Management Committee Meeting
Sep 19 : Stroud branch, Standish
Sep 19 : Gloucester branch, TBA
4:30pm Branch Striking Competition
Sep 19 : Stroud branch, Leonard Stanley
4:30pm Service, Tea, Meeting and Ringing
Sep 19 : Forest branch, Ruardean
Sep 20 : Bristol Rural branch, Gloucester Cathedral
1:20pm Evensong ringing
Sep 25 : Forest branch, Tidenham
7:30pm Surprise Minor Practice
Sep 26 : Wotton branch, TBA
Sep 26 : Chippenham branch, Wantage
9:00am Branch Coach Outing, non ringers welcome
Sep 26 : Bristol Rural branch, Wapley
Sep 26 : Cirencester branch, Watermoor
7:30pm Joint Surprise Major Practice